GUIDELINES FOR NOTARY SERVICE
In addition to the rules and regulations that govern notaries, the following guidelines are in place:
- Notary service is available to Mountainside residents, to patrons who work in town and can show proof of such employment, to patrons who have purchased out-of-town memberships and to MURAL patrons.
- Notary service is available by appointment. Walk-in service may also be available. Because notary service is in addition to the staff member's regular duties, some delays may be possible. It is advised that people seeking Notary Service call the library prior to their visit to ensure that a Notary is available at that time.
- Proper identification, in the form of a current government issued photo ID, must be provided. Some examples are driver’s license, passport, military ID card or resident alien card.
- If a document to be notarized must be witnessed by others, the patron must provide the witnesses. Library staff members are not available to witness documents. In order to serve as a witness, the witness must personally know the person whose document is being notarized and must be in possession of valid photo identification.
- Documents in any language other than English will not be notarized at this facility.
- Notary will keep a record of all names using this service.
- No fee will be charged for notary service.
- Notary has the final decision as to which documents will be notarized. Notary has the right to refuse to notarize documents if there appear to be any irregularities. Notary cannot notarize wills, deeds to property, living trusts, codicils, depositions, mortgages or other real estate closing documents, documents issued by a foreign country, or immigration documents (including U. S. immigration documents).
- Notary does not give legal advice or legal references.